How To Get Rid Of Ants Naturally – 11 Natural Methods
Ants are known as one of the most difficult pests to eliminate, particularly after they have established in the home. Outside the house, these pests play an integral role in balancing ecology by feeding on dead insects, decomposing tissues from dead animals and even other pests. However, ant invasion in the house is an annoying nuisance. Although eliminating ants from your home may be a bit challenging, it is not impossible as long as you use the right methods. There are several ways of getting rid of ants from the house. But today, many people opt for natural ways of eliminating ants instead of using chemical pesticides. Here are some simple tips on how to kill ants naturally.
- Borax – This is basically a laundry detergent, which you can mix with sugar and water and then spray around the affected area. The nests of the ants will carry the borax, thereby killing them. This is one of the most popular methods due to its effectiveness.
- Vinegar – Another effective way of eliminating these pests is putting vinegar on their paths. If you spray vinegar on the entry path of ants, the vinegar’s strong scent will drive them away. Peppermint oil and apple cider also offer the same effect.
- Cucumber – Generally, ants don’t like cucumber. Therefore, if you put some cucumber in the areas with ants, they will abandon the place very quickly.
- Mint – Mint tea bags can also be used to drive ants away. Just put them at the entry points of the ants enter. You can also dry and crush mint leaves into powder and then sprinkle them on the entry paths.
- Lemon Juice – Another easy way to eliminate ants is to mix lemon juice with water, and then spray the mixture on the affected area.
- Soap – Major soap ingredients can kill ants. They achieve this by breaking down the waxy part of the ant’s exoskeleton and dehydrating them. You can either rub some soap or spray soapy water at the ant’s entry points.
- Grits – Grits usually expand when consumed. When the ants feed on the grits, they would expand alongside the grits and then die. Just spread grits (like coarsely ground corn, oats and rice) on the affected area.
- Salt/ Pepper – Another effective way of repelling ants is to spread salt/pepper on ant nests and at the corners. Just mix salt or black pepper with hot water and spray on ants. This will kill them within a few minutes.
- Chili Powder/ Cinnamon – Another effective and old remedy of killing ants is putting chili powder or cinnamon on the ant nests. You can also draw a line with cinnamon around the affected area and the ants would be trapped.
- Diatomaceous Earth – To use this method, just sprinkle the diatomaceous earth in the affected area. But ensure that you use the right diatomaceous earth, instead of the one used to make pools.
- Perfume – Put cotton balls in a perfume with strong scent and then place them in the affected areas. The strong smell of the perfume will kill them.